WHY VEGETABLE GARDEN?
Let me sell you on Vegetable Gardening.
Below are some of the reasons we grow a veggie plot each year.
1. Vegetable gardening is outdoors. It gets you out of the house, away from the TV, Computer, Phone, etc. You will hear the birds, see wildlife, take in some sun, put your hands in the dirt, watch things grow, and even have an occasional visit with neighbor over the fence, (rather than on the cell phone).
2. Vegetable gardening is meaningful exercise. No need for mindless, meaningless, walking or aerobics, which accomplish very little beyond raising the heart rate. With gardening you get that heart rate up while expending physical energy on something which generates food.
3. Vegetable gardening keeps you home with the family. Fishing, Golf, Softball, and other out-of-the-home activities tend to divide the family. Everyone goes their own way. Gardening as a family IS togetherness. Especially when the kids are small; 3 to 9 years old. I had a blast in the garden with our (6) children during this era of family’s life. See Majerus Family Working in the family garden was/is an element in our home-schooling efforts. Many Biblical lessons are understood through agriculture/gardening.
4. Vegetable gardening is a financial net-gain activity. Many other activities drain dollars from the family but not so of veggie gardening. Soccer shoes, gas for minivan, boat payments, golf fees, tennis lessons, music lessons, all take from the family budget, without re-payment. Gardens require initial investment, then give a payback, and even a profit. Our gardens have done this for years. Some years selling the extra veggies paid for the garden, while we canned for winter, and consumed all summer long.
5. Vegetable gardening gives healthy food. It has become clear that eating fresh fruit and veggies is a critical preventive measure for health problems. Chemicals in the food chain have also become critical suspects in the cancer mystery. Eating veggies from your own garden, grown without toxins, sounds healthy to me! Not to mention that you cannot do better than the taste of a fresh home-grown tomatoe.
6. Vegetable gardening is FUN . If you like to get outside, enjoy meaningful exercise, want to stay home with your family, savor a profit-making project, and want to eat healthy/tasty… gardening is for you.
See video of Clyde's Veggie Planting Chart
We Trust in the Finished Work of Christ
Small Garden Starter Kit
Large Garden Starter Kit
Slide Show of Clyde's Garden Planner
Video Demo of Slide Chart
Other Majerus Projects:
To - Clyde's Harmonica Holder
To - Majerus Music - Free Songs
To Majerus Family Music - New CD Page
To - Abi's Art Page - Custom Drawings and Sketches